Gesture detection - hit and miss

I’m finding that the gesture detection is very hit and miss.
Swipe up and down work well, but left and right require very large movements.
Left is especially bad at being detected.

Is there a certain way that the gesture should be made to get a better detection rate?
I am trying different ways of making the gesture and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Hi Karl,

• What sensor do you use?
  • What is the distance between a user and a sensor?

Hi Olga,

It’s the Realsense D415. The distance is about 1.5 meters. It’s strange, one minute it will detect the smallest of gestures, the next I need to nearly pull my arm out of its socket to detect the swing.

The hand detection is working really well now. It’s just the gestures which are causing problems.

I just ran a test for example…detecting the right gesture worked every time. The left however only 2 out of 10 times.

Please record a .bag file, which shows your issue, using the realsense-viewer tool from RealSense SDK (in Depth Stream Settings, set the resolution to 1280x720, FPS: 30), upload it to any cloud storage and send us the link, we’ll investigate your issue.

The issue(in my case) is persistent if the camera is installed above the TV and titled. Try keeping it on a flat table without titlting it too much and it should track gestures perfectly. @olga.kuzminykh Is there a way to fix this?

@karl.abson Please send us the .bag file showing your issue because we need test data to investigate and resolve the problem.

@ashish What is the tilt angle of your sensor?

Hi @olga.kuzminykh ,

Is there a way to get the tilt angle of the Astra through Nuitrack or do I have to set it manually everytime?

There’s no ready-made method to get the tilt angle in Nuitrack API, However, if the floor plane is visible, you can estimate the sensor tilt angle using the getFloorNormal method of the UserFrame class.

Have you managed to sort this out?
I’m experiencing the same issue with an Orbbec Astra. Swipe up and down work well, but right and especially left are hardly detected.

-Gabor

Hi Gabor,

Please record an .oni file using NiViewer from Astra SDK that shows this issue (the problem with right and left swipes) because we need test data to investigate and resolve the problem.