Tracking a Sitting Person

Hi, I’m currently interested in using Nuitrack for sitting posture-correcting purposes.
I’ve watched videos on Youtube of how Nuitrack works,
and I am aware that Nuitrack is not intended 100% for the purpose I’m interested.
However because Nuitrack doesn’t use markers for tracking, I am willing to use it for my research.

Anyway, I have three questions -

1. Can I track a person sitting in a chair?
    I am willing to use the upper body only. Can I set the program running so that it tracks only the upper parts of the body? edit: also, will it differenciate the person and the chair?

2. Can I add more joints to the person?
    It looks like that the skeletons that come out in the demo videos have the same joint configuration. I would like to ADD more joints to the spine, so that I can get more info out of it. Would this be possible? If so, would this be a good idea to track the person’s spine more accurately? Or is there a better idea for this?

3. What angle should I set the camera?
    All of the video demos I’ve watched so far have set the camera angle to face the front of the person DIRECTLY.
    I would like to capture info from the rear or the side of the person, to get a better view of the person’s back.
    I’m also thinking of putting the camera at an angle positioning downwards, like a bird eye’s view.
    Does Nuitrack work for these kind of camera placement?

1. in theory you can track a person in a chair - this is something we do on a regular basis while testing
  • BUT the challenge is in the initial recognition - that is - getting the tracking to register the initial person.

Ironically - it usually involves - sitting up straight and tall.

Once this pose is locked on - then the tracking of the upper torso is usually quite reliable.

1. currently this is not possible with most tracking systems - as it requires retraining of the algorithms used to build the tracking model - think AI training

2. the current algorithms for tracking are trained based on a person facing the sensor – however there have been some recent announcements of future updates that may resolve this issue in some ways.

Westa

1 Like